Our online topsoil calculator will help you calculate how many tonnes of topsoil you require for your new lawn, raised flower bed or any other groundwork project.
Topsoil is usually sold in metric tonnes but first we must calculate the volume of topsoil required in cubic metres and convert this value into metric tonnes.
Volume of topsoil is calculated using length (m) x width (m) x depth (m). The next stage is to convert this volume into metric tonnes. We base our calculations on 1 cubic metre = 1.8 metric tonnes. Therefore we multiply the volume x 1.8 to give us the tonnage of topsoil required.
- Choose the area unit of measurement, you can select from metres, feet or yards.
- Enter the length and width of the area you wish to topsoil.
- Choose the depth unit of measurement, you can select from centimetres or inches.
- Enter the depth of topsoil you wish to have.
- Click on the ‘Calculate’ button and you will see the volume of the area, in m³, and the tonnage of topsoil you require.